Saturday, January 1, 2011

Pink Lemonade Cupcakes

Happy New Year everyone! We rang in the new year making Pink Lemonade cupcakes...what better way to *think summer* than with a lemony cupcake?!? 


What I loved about this recipe is that it called for your basic ingredients...nothing too complicated.


 The cupcakes were super easy to make, but I was so excited to make them, that I completely forgot to add pink food coloring to the batter before separating and baking...mistake number 1.


While I was bummed out about not having pink cupcakes, I moved on to the joy of coloring the frosting! Normally I have been using store bought frosting, but I decided to try a recipe that I found on Sweet Tooth. I must have added too much confectioners sugar to the recipe because the frosting was too powdery. I added another tablespoon of the pink lemonade frozen concentrate to the mix…mistake number 2. The batter ended up being too tart tasting. 

When I sampled a small spoonful of frosting, it tasted great…it wasn’t until I had piped 7 cupcakes before I decided to try a cupcake…that’s when I found out the frosting was way too tart. I nixed the “homemade” frosting and grabbed my backup can of frosting instead and separated/colored that and finished the remaining cupcakes.

In the end, the cupcakes turned out beautifully and tasted yummy!!






I decided to try piping some all yellow with pink sugar sprinkles...these turned out super cute too!



Pink Lemonade Cupcakes

Cake Recipe


1 box white cake mix
3/4 cup frozen pink lemonade concentrate
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 egg whites

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 24 muffins tins with liners

- Combine all of the ingredients in an electric mixer and begin by mixing low for 30 seconds, then increase the speed to medium for another minute.

- Divide the batter evenly, filling the liners about 2/3 full

- Bake cupcakes for about 25 minutes,
(I baked mine for 22 minutes) or until cake tester comes out clean

- Allow cupcakes to cool before frosting



Two-Tone Frosting Recipe  


3 cups confectioners sugar
1 stick unsalted butter (room temperature)
2 tbsp frozen pink lemonade concentrate
(do not add additional tbsps if too much sugar is added; dilute with water instead)
Pinch of salt
2 colors of food coloring

- Combine all ingredients in an electric mixer fit with a paddle attachment and mix on low until combined

- Increase speed to medium-high and beat until frosting is light and to your desired consistency
- Separate frosting in 2 bowls and color as you desire

- Follow the Two-Tone Frosting tutorial on the technique for piping two-tone frosting 

- You may need to double the buttercream recipe if you plan on piping tall frosting swirls on 24 cupcakes



 

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. These cupcakes came out so lovely! I am going to try these this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color combination. Have to try these soon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket