Saturday, December 25, 2010

Two-Tone Frosting

I found this technique on Grin and Bake It to frost cupcakes with two colors and thought I'd give it a "whirl" (pun intended lol) next time I made cupcakes.  




Well the time came and I made some cupcakes, got my frosting all ready with some awesome colors, and then realized I didn’t have any plastic wrap! With it being two days before Christmas, I didn’t feel like braving the crowd only for this, so I figured I’d use the Press ‘n Seal instead. What a bad idea!! While this stuff is fantastic for covering food…it’s not so great for trying to frost two-tone cupcakes as it likes to stick to everything possible!

I was able to frost some of the cupcakes…and boy did they turn out nicely!! But soon gave up and just piped the rest with a 1M tip and called it good. Next time I will definitely make sure I have plastic wrap as I loved out beautifully the swirls of colors turned out!

*UPDATE*
I made Pink Lemonade cupcakes and piped the cupcakes using the two tone frosting technique and had plastic wrap this time...worked wonderfully!!

Two-Tone Frosting


Step 1: Make your favorite frosting recipe, or use jars of store bought frosting.  Separate the frosting in half into two bowls. Use gel colors to dye the frosting. Remember, this type of food coloring darkens after a few hours.

Step 2: Take a piece of plastic wrap approximately 8″ – 10″. Place a scoop of frosting in the center, 1″ from the edge. Don’t use too much frosting or it will seep through one end. Do not use Press ‘n Seal!

Step 3: Fold the plastic wrap in half so that the sides match up.

Step 4:  Starting on the side with the icing, roll it to the other side. Twist one end of the wrap and tie into a knot.

Step 5: Insert into a piping bag that is ready to go with a coupler and tip. I like to use the 1M Wilton star tip.

Step 6: Repeat steps 2-5 with the second icing color.

Step 7: Pipe cupcakes!



 

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket